Thursday, April 03, 2008

What I did over spring break

What did I do this week? Well I already told you that Monday involved alcohol and pool but no fun. Tuesday I spent with monkey and had fun doing the most silly thing. Monkey is 15 so the fact that this kind of stuff still interests her delights me to no end.

We were having a discussion about which Disney characters are the best. Then we started arguing about which characters were sidekicks and which were babysitters. Then we decided to determine the best character NCAA championship style. So before we could fill in the brackets we had to decide what category they fell into and then narrow the field down to 64 characters. Yes this is how I spend my time.

The biggest arguments revolved around the sidekick babysitter dilemma. Babysitter? You say? What babysitters? That was my reaction until Monkey explained it. Some of the better examples are Zasu and Rafiki from Lion King. Important characters? Yes. Sidekicks? No. Babysitters? Yes. Genie from Alladin? Babysitter. I categorized him as a sidekick but Alladin’s real sidekick was Abu the monkey.

Our 4 categories were Heroes, Villains, Sidekicks (both evil and good), and Babysitters. Cool Dads became a sub-category of Babysitters. I didn’t think they rated until Monkey started listing them, The Sultan from Alladin, King Triton from Little Mermaid, King Charming from Cinderella, and my personal favorite The Dad from 101 Dalmations. I still haven’t looked up his name.

When deciding who would make the final 64 we had to determine how we would rate them. We came up with four categories of important traits. Coolness, Humor, Music, and Power. Music had ot be a category because of how important and pervasive music is in most of the Disney classics. So any character that has a solo gets more points and if they have a song about them, bonus points.

Monkey spent her day today eliminating the last 6 from the side kick category. The Hyenas, The Lost Boys, Little John and Friar Tuck were among the casualties. I am personally grieving the loss of the Hyenas.

She also made the brackets and apparently colored and put designs on the page. I get to see the final result today. I will try to get a picture of it up by tomorrow. If you vote for your favorite characters it may influence the judges.

Monkey made the brackets by matching up the first name on the list with the last name on the list within that category and moving toward the middle. Some of the cooler match-ups are Cinderella vs. Snow White, the Wicked Step Mother vs. Evil witch from Snow White, and Ursula (Witch from Little Mermaid) vs. Rattigan (from The Great Mouse Detective)

Today we started seeing who makes past the first round. I of course forgot to take a picture before we started filling in the second round but I will figure something out.

My question to you is…. Peter Pan or Robin Hood?

1 comment:

Donor Development Strategies said...

Dude that's awesome, I like your blog, I'm just in the developmental stages of settin up something for myself, keep up the good work man.